Film and Television Summer Institute
The UCLA Film & Television Summer Institute gives students from across the country and around the globe an unparalleled opportunity to study filmmaking at one of the most prestigious film schools in the world.
- Creative Producing
- Film Production (Session A or Session C)
- Advanced Filmmaking Lab
The UCLA Film & Television Summer Institute shapes the filmmakers of tomorrow right in the heart of Los Angeles, the entertainment capital of the world.
Admission to the program (except Animation track) is by instructor consent only. At registration applicants will be prompted brief essay questions that will determine their suitability for each track. As space is limited for both tracks, early registration is highly recommended. Please remember that even after you have been approved, official enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
NOTE: students should compose the essays before beginning the online registration process. There will be a text field on the online form into which the essay text can be copied.
CREATIVE PRODUCING APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
This track is only open to current undergraduate rising juniors and seniors at a university or college. Due to visa restrictions, international students are not eligible.
Creative Producing applicants must submit an answer to the following essay question:
- Question For Creative Producing: What qualifications do you have that make you a good candidate for a film/TV internship? No more than 200 words.
For students holding completed bachelor's degrees, UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television offers a 10-week Professional Program in Producing.
Applicants are required to submit a creative writing sample that demonstrates creativity and a strong original voice using the prompt below.
- Writing Prompt: Please submit one creative writing piece of no more than 300 words. Please write in English. Use the words: "The leaf was orange" in the piece.
The Advanced Filmmaking Lab track of the UCLA Film and Television Summer Institute requires two references, a statement of purpose, and a PDF copy of transcript/study list or CV/resume for admission consideration. In addition, those who have experience in directing or cinematographing a film/video may choose to provide a link to the film/video.
- Please provide two references from faculty who teach college level courses in film/TV production or working professionals in the entertainment industry.
- First Name, Last Name
- Relationship to you as to how you know this person
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- Provide a statement of purpose in the text box below in no more than 500 words
- The reasons why you would like to participate in the program
- Your expectations from the program
- Describe your creative process and your ability to work collaboratively
- If you have directed or cinematographed a film/video and would like to have it reviewed, please upload your film/video to YouTube or Vimeo and past the URL in the text box below. This is optional.
- Upload a PDF copy of either 1) unofficial/official transcript or study list as proof of completion of three college level courses in film/TV production (for example, cinematography, film/TV production, editing, production sound, etc.) or 2) CV/resume as proof of commensurate professional experience, detailing professional film/TV production experience.
REGISTER ONLINE Registration is conveniently done online here starting February 15, 2017. In order to guarantee a spot in the program, a valid payment of the non-refundable deposit ($400 for international students; $150 for all others) is required if registering prior to the May 1 payment deadline. After the payment deadline, a full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required for registration. Registration is not complete until the required payment is made. Those who are not prepared to pay can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment.
MAKE CHANGES Already submitted the registration form but need to make a change or complete registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address.
Changes that can be updated or made using the retrieve form include:
- Paying non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
If you would like to switch into a different program or add additional programs, please contact our office at email@example.com with your five-digit registration number, the students first and last name, and a description of the change you are requesting.
UCLA Student Code of Conduct has been developed to maintain a safe, supportive, and inclusive campus community that engages students in order to foster their academic success, personal growth and responsible citizenship.
Therefore you are expected to conduct yourself in a manner which demonstrates respect for yourself, your fellow Summer Sessions students, UCLA's faculty members, and members of the local community.
Behavior governed by the UCLA Student Code of Conduct includes:
- Academic honesty
- Treatment of others
- Health and safety
- Use of resources
- Use of alcohol and controlled substances
UCLA’s reputation for academic excellence and institutional integrity is among the most valued assets; as such, academic integrity is of paramount importance and UCLA does all within its power to maintain its standards.
During the summer, matriculated UCLA students and visiting students alike are members of our diverse and inclusive True Bruin community. For more information on the student code of conduct, please visit the Dean of Students' website.
FILM & TV SUMMER INSTITUTE: ADVANCED FILMMAKING LAB TRACK:
JUNE 26 - AUGUST 17, 2017
FILM & TV SUMMER INSTITUTE: CREATIVE PRODUCING TRACK:
JUNE 26 - AUGUST 18, 2017
FILM & TV SUMMER INSTITUTE: FILM PRODUCTION TRACK (SESSION A):
JUNE 26 - AUGUST 4, 2017
FILM & TV SUMMER INSTITUTE: ANIMATION TRACK:
JUNE 26 - AUGUST 4, 2017
FILM & TV SUMMER INSTITUTE: FILM PRODUCTION TRACK (SESSION C):
AUGUST 7 - SEPTEMBER 15, 2017