Film and Television Summer Institute - Film Production
FILM PRODUCTION SUMMER INSTITUTE
(6/9/20): Film Production A is now closed to new applicants. Film Production (Session C): August 3 - September 11, 2020
Due to the rapidly developing COVID-19 situation, students will participate in courses remotely via Zoom in order to protect the health and safety of our community and visiting students. Each Film Production student will be provided an equipment kit to facilitate the completion of their exercises and projects, which they can keep for future use. The equipment kit will include a gimbal, tripod, Moment lenses, LED lighting kit, and expendables.
NOTE: *Equipment provided is dependent on availability from suppliers. Once received by students, the kit and its contents are not returnable.
The UCLA Film & Television Summer Institute gives students from across the country and around the globe an unparalleled opportunity to study filmmaking at one of the most prestigious film schools in the world.
This intensive immersion filmmaking workshop is intended for beginning and intermediate filmmakers of all ages (18+). Students work both individually and collaboratively on short film projects as they are introduced to the aesthetics, techniques and practices of filmmaking. Students work closely with UCLA faculty to study directing, cinematography, editing, production and creative collaboration.
To participate in the Film and Television Summer Institute - Film Production track, you must meet the following eligibility requirements.
Currently have a high school diploma (or equivalent)
Students and aspiring filmmakers 18 years of age or older (as of the first day of the
The Film Production track is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- In 150 - 300 words: Submit a creative writing piece written in English that uses the words "bursts of color were all around."
- A statement of purpose stating why you would like to participate in the program, and what you expect to gain from the experience. No more than 200 words.
- Filmmaking requires creative collaboration at every stage. What qualities do you possess that make you a good collaborator? No more than 300 words.
Students will be notified within two weeks of an acceptance decision.
How to Apply
Registration can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, including the essay questions.
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page.
Allow up to two weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision. If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program
FILM PRODUCTION SUMMER INSTITUTE (SESSION A):
JUNE 22 - JULY 31, 2020
FILM PRODUCTION SUMMER INSTITUTE (SESSION C):
AUGUST 3 - SEPTEMBER 11, 2020