UCLA is home to world-class academic and research programs, and its resources include extensive libraries, athletic facilities, and cultural events.
Developed from courses that are already part of UCLA’s regular curriculum, Summer Institutes offer the breadth and depth of UCLA's academic rigor in an intensive, holistic format that allows you to share a unique hands-on learning experience. Upon completion, all courses that constitute each Summer Institute program’s curriculum will be listed on an official UCLA transcript.
Our Summer Institutes are open to students from around the country and the world , as well as UCLA students, and we invite you to come and study in a welcoming environment that appreciates diversity and global perspectives.
The Film and Television Summer Institute's Creative Producing track includes an internship component and is not open to international students. All other tracks, however, are F-1 visa eligible.
Precollege Summer Institutes
Precollege Summer Institutes are designed for advanced high school students who wish to gain academically challenging college-level experience.
Art Summer Institute (Session B ONLY)
- Acting and Performance Summer Institute*
- Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute*
- Art Summer Institute*
- Camera Acting Summer Institute*
- Dance/Performing Arts Summer Institute*
- Design Media Arts Summer Institute*
- Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute*
- Economics Summer Institute*
- Engineering Design Summer Institute*
- Game Lab Summer Institute*
- Immersive International Studies Summer Institute*
- Mock Trial Summer Institute*
- Model United Nations Summer Institute*
- Musical Theater Summer Institute*
- Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute*
- Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute*
- Sci|Art Lab + Studio Summer Institute*
- Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute*
- Writing Summer Institute: Introduction to College Writing*
College/Professional Summer Institutes
College/Professional Summer Institutes help pave the way towards a successful career through in-depth, hands-on learning experiences that go beyond traditional classroom instruction.
- Big Data for Justice Summer Institute
- Business of Media, Entertainment, and Sports Summer Institute
- Film and Television Summer Institute (Select one of the following tracks)
- Jumpstart Summer Institute: Introduction to Architecture
- Technology Leadership Summer Institute
All programs except Jumpstart Summer Institute and Big Data for Justice Summer Institute coincide with the UCLA summer housing periods, and their participants are eligible for UCLA on- or off-campus housing through UCLA Housing Services.
** Not eligible for an F-1 visa