Skip to Main Content Skip to Navigation Skip to Secondary Navigation Skip to Footer
Recommended Courses for GLP Students

Curated selections to complement your GLP experience

The application for the UCLA Summer Global Leadership Program (GLP) is now open.

Important Information

Given the nature of the program, we strongly recommend taking in-person courses in order to maximize the overall experience. However, some courses of interest may be offered online. Please note that international students in need of a visa may not enroll in online courses to satisfy unit load requirements for an I-20.

International students in GLP who require a visa will need to be enrolled in two in-person Session A6 courses to meet the eligibility for an F-1 visa, required for study.

The Schedule of Classes will direct you to the subject area pages where you can access additional information about these courses.
After filtering for subject area, select the course you are interested in and click on the course title. You will be able to view important information, such as number of available spaces, units, date and time, course instructor, and more.
Click on “Lec” (lecture) on the left side of the course to visit the course page.

Some courses will have a Lecture (Lec) online and a Discussion/Lab (Dis/Lab) in person or vice versa; please check if there is an arrow to the left of Lec to view any applicable Dis/Lab. For those courses, you should enroll in the discussion/lab first which automatically enrolls you in the lecture.

If accepted to the program, students will receive more information on the course enrollment process.

UCLA is on the quarter system. As a general guide, a semester unit is worth 1.5 quarter units (e.g., 4 quarter units = 2.5 semester units). Most courses average 4-5 units and students should only enroll in 2 courses (10 unit maximum).

While UCLA coursework is generally accepted for transfer credit, all decisions on transferability rest with the visiting student’s home institution. Students should consult with or get advance approval from their home institution prior to registration in UCLA Summer Sessions.

A transcript is a permanent record that reflects all undergraduate and graduate work completed at UCLA. It lists courses, units, grades, cumulative grade-point average, transfer credits, total units, and work in progress in chronological order. The accomplishment of the UCLA coursework of any non-UC student enrolled in UCLA Summer Sessions is recorded on a formal UCLA transcript in the same way as a UCLA student.

Grades appear on the transcript immediately after grades are submitted by the course instructor ten days after the final or last day of instruction for all other students including newly admitted UCLA students and non-UC students.

Unless special services are required, ordering a transcript can be done online through MyUCLA (“Grades and Transcripts” under the “Classes” tab). Students who require an expedited or special delivery transcript must submit a Transcript Request Form (PDF). Requests are not processed if students have outstanding financial, academic, or administrative holds or obligations to the University.

Unless indicated as [ONLINE], courses should be offered in person. Please verify this on the Schedule of Classes for the course of interest.

Courses that state “TBA” or “No Location” are still finalizing the mode of instruction and will be updated by the academic department as soon as possible.

Course availabilities vary year to year and all courses are subject to change without prior notice.


Optional Grading Basis

Courses with an optional grading basis allow students to choose either a Letter grade OR a Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) grade.

In MyUCLA and the Schedule of Classes, the grade type for classes with optional grading is displayed as SO (Student Option) on the class information page. If no action to change the grading basis is taken, students will be assigned a letter grade by default.

Mandatory Grading Basis

Courses with a mandatory, non-optional grading basis (e.g., Letter Grade only | P/NP only) are designated LG or PN on the class information page in MyUCLA and the Schedule of Classes.

Students can change the grading basis of optional grading basis courses by logging in to MyUCLA and selecting “Change Grade Type” or submitting a Student Update Form to, if MyUCLA is not accessible.

Students should consult with an academic adviser before taking courses on the P/NP or S/U basis to verify whether P/NP will count toward the requirement they wish to satisfy.

Credit and GPA

Both letter grade and Pass/No Pass (P/NP) will offer UCLA college credit in the form of units upon successful completion of the course. Letter grade (A, B, C, D, etc. with + or -) will factor into your GPA and must be reported on all college applications.

Pass/No Pass (P/NP) does not affect the GPA. Work equivalent to a grade of C or higher is a pass while C- or below is a no pass and will not offer units as credit.

Information given on how and when to enroll in the courses will be provided upon acceptance to the program.

In order to achieve full-time student status, international students who will be on campus for the summer must:

  • Enroll in at least the same number of in-person units as the number of weeks in a session, e.g., minimum 6 units if enrolling in Session A6; online courses are NOT allowed)

Please closely review the International Student Page for all information and details pertaining to F-1 visa eligibility, requirements, and applications.