Who is an International Student?
UCLA Summer Sessions offers International high school students two ways to engage in a college experience that will challenge and inspire them. You can enroll in individual UCLA academic courses or select one of our precollege Summer Institutes.
High school students enrolled in academic courses may apply for housing through UCLA Housing Services.
For our registration purposes, you are considered an international high school student only if you answer no to ALL of the questions below:
- Are you a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, i.e., a Green Card holder?
- Are you an international student currently studying in the US and returning to the same school after the summer?
If you currently hold an F-1 visa and I-20 at another U.S. school AND plan to continue your studies at that school, you won't need to obtain an additional F-1 visa to attend UCLA Summer Sessions. There are no unit requirements and you won't be required to complete the I-20 request form or upload any documents.
- Do you intend to enroll only in online courses ?
- Do you intend to register only in the short-term precollege Summer Institutes that are not F-1 eligible , indicated with ** in the right column?
High School Students enrolling in a Precollege Summer Institute are not eligible to apply for the F-1 student visa. Students enrolling in a less than full-time precollege program MAY attend the program on the Visitor (B) Visa. However, UCLA strongly recommends that students consult with their local U.S. Embassy / Consulate for more information regarding visa requirements.
If you answered no to all four questions, you will be required to enroll full-time and obtain an F-1 visa. Once you select which summer offerings you are interested in, Academic Courses or one of the F-1 visa eligible Summer Institutes, you will find information on visa requirements, along with registration, fees, and payment details applicable to your selection.
If you answered yes to any of the questions, please go to the U.S. High School Student page.
If you are interested in taking individual academic courses, such as Communication Skills courses designed specifically for international students or ESL courses, please go to Academic Courses: International High School Students for information on visa requirements, registration, fees, payment, and relevant University and Summer Sessions policies. Transcripts, proof of enrollment at another institution, or a GPA minimum is not required.
Summer Sessions is a unique opportunity to advance your academic career. You get the chance to study and socialize among America's finest group of undergraduates. During the summer, many academic courses that make up UCLA's regular curriculum are offered in two sessions, Session A and Session C . With over 100 courses to choose from, including online courses, you can have an unforgettable summer no matter where you are from.
UCLA online courses offer you the opportunity to earn credit anytime, anywhere. UCLA academic courses delivered online carry the same unit value and UCLA degree credit, and transcripts do not indicate if a class was taken online or on campus. Whether you have other summer activities planned or wish to stay in your hometown during your studies, online courses provide an alternative solution to your academic needs. To view a full list of online courses offered during the summer, please click here.
Precollege Summer Institutes
Precollege Summer Institutes are designed for advanced high school students who wish to gain academically challenging college-level experience.
Listed below are the 2018 precollege programs*:
- Applications of Nanoscience**
- Acting and Performance Summer Institute**
- Art Summer Institute**
- Dance/Performing Arts Summer Institute**
- Design Media Arts Summer Institute**
- Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute**
- Model United Nations Summer Institute**
- Mock Trial Summer Institute**
- Musical Theater Summer Institute**
- Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute**
- Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute**
- SCI|ART NanoLab Summer Institute**
- Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute**