Skip to Main Content Skip to Navigation Skip to Secondary Navigation Skip to Footer
Approved Courses for High School Students

Take 1-2 approved courses alongside UCLA students for college credit!

Registration opens on February 15!


Please read the “Important Information” section before selecting your course(s) of interest.

Important Information

High school students may enroll in 1-2 approved courses only (10 unit maximum) from the above list of courses.

The following courses are the only approved courses for high school students. The links below will direct either to the specific course page or the subject area if there are multiple lectures, modalities (online vs. in-person), or sessions (Session A vs. Session C) offered. Courses that state “TBA” or “No Location” are still finalizing the course modality and will be updated by the academic department as soon as possible.

Some courses will include mandatory discussions (Dis) or laboratory (Lab) sections which will be italicized in the list below. For those courses, you must enroll in the discussion/lab first which will automatically enroll you in the lecture; you may verify this on your Study List.

To view full course information, click on the link for the course to view the number of available spaces, units, date and time of the course, course instructor, and more. Click on “Lec” (lecture) to view the course page. Course availability and modality is subject to change.

Any listed prerequisites on the schedule of classes apply to UCLA students only.

If you wish to take more than 10 units or take a course not on this approved list, you must submit a petition request that includes a copy of your high school transcript and proof you have completed pre-requisites (if applicable). To learn about the petition process, please email us at


UCLA is on the quarter system. As a general guide, a semester unit is worth 1.5 quarter units (e.g., 4 quarter units = 2.5 semester units). Most courses average 4-5 units and students should only enroll in 1-2 courses (10 unit maximum).

While UCLA coursework is generally accepted for transfer credit, all decisions on transferability rest with the visiting student’s home institution. Students should consult with or get advance approval from their home institution prior to registration in UCLA Summer Sessions.

A transcript is a permanent record that reflects all undergraduate and graduate work completed at UCLA. It lists courses, units, grades, cumulative grade-point average, transfer credits, total units, and work in progress in chronological order. The accomplishment of the UCLA coursework of any non-UC student enrolled in UCLA Summer Sessions is recorded on a formal UCLA transcript in the same way as a UCLA student.

Grades appear on the transcript immediately after grades are submitted by the course instructor ten days after the final or last day of instruction for all other students including newly admitted UCLA students and non-UC students.

Unless special services are required, ordering a transcript can be done online through MyUCLA (“Grades and Transcripts” under the “Classes” tab). Students who require an expedited or special delivery transcript must submit a Transcript Request Form (PDF). Requests are not processed if students have outstanding financial, academic, or administrative holds or obligations to the University.

Unless indicated as [ONLINE], the course should be offered in person.

Courses that state “TBA” or “No Location” are still finalizing the mode of instruction and will be updated by the academic department as soon as possible.

Course availabilities vary year to year and all courses are subject to change without prior notice.


Optional Grading Basis

Courses with an optional grading basis allow students to choose either a Letter grade OR a Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) grade (for undergraduates/high school students).

In MyUCLA and the Schedule of Classes, the grade type for classes with optional grading is displayed as SO (Student Option) on the class information page. If no action to change the grading basis is taken, students will be assigned a letter grade by default.

Mandatory Grading Basis

Courses with a mandatory, non-optional grading basis (e.g., Letter Grade only | P/NP only) are designated LG or PN on the class information page in MyUCLA and the Schedule of Classes.

Students can change the grading basis of optional grading basis courses by logging in to MyUCLA and selecting “Change Grade Type” or submitting a Student Update Form to, if MyUCLA is not accessible.

Students should consult with an academic adviser before taking courses on the P/NP or S/U basis to verify whether P/NP will count toward the requirement they wish to satisfy.

Credit and GPA

Both letter grade and Pass/No Pass (P/NP) will offer UCLA college credit in the form of units upon successful completion of the course. Letter grade (A, B, C, D, etc. with + or -) will factor into your GPA and must be reported on all college applications.

Pass/No Pass (P/NP) does not affect the GPA. Work equivalent to a grade of C or higher is a pass while C- or below is a no pass and will not offer units as credit.

Once a student finds a course(s) of interest form the approved list below, they should follow these steps:

  1. Register online
  2. Pay the non-refundable $350 registration fee
  3. Create a MyUCLA account associated with their 9-digit UCLA University ID (UID) number
  4. Select the “Classes” tab and “Find a Class and Enroll”
  5. Confirm they are enrolled in the course by viewing their “Study List”
  6. Select “Finances and Jobs” and submit full payment via BruinBill

On the Schedule of Classes, if there is an arrow to the left of “Lec”, there is a discussion or lab associated with the course. You may enroll via MyUCLA by first selecting the section/lab which will automatically enroll you into the lecture. You may view the video tutorial on the Schedule of Classes.

High school students may enroll in the courses listed in the “List of Courses” section. No documentation such as transcript, SAT scores, or letter of recommendation is required.

Students cannot enroll in multiple Summer Courses or a Summer Course(s) and Summer Institute(s) that have overlapping meeting times. Please make sure to check your course/program of interest and make sure there are no time conflicts.

In order to achieve the full-time student status, international students who will be on campus for the summer must:

  • Enroll in at least the same number of units as the number of weeks in a session, e.g., minimum 6 units if enrolling in Session A6 or minimum 3 units if enrolling in Session A3; and
  • Enroll in the next available session if enrolling in more than one session to avoid a gap between sessions, e.g., Session A3 and B, not Session A3 and C3.

To avoid gaps students must avoid the following combinations of sessions:

  • Session A3 & Session C3/C6
  • Session A3 & Session D
  • Session A6 & Session D
  • Session B & Session D

Please closely review the International Student Page for all information and details pertaining to F-1 visa eligibility, requirements, and applications.

If you are enrolled in a Summer Course and are 17 years of age or older by the start of Session A, you may apply for housing through the UCLA Housing application which opens in mid-May.

UCLA Housing will NOT be offering housing to students who are 15 or 16 years old by the Start of Session A. If you would like to live on campus, we recommend applying for a program that offers housing, such as our Precollege Summer Institutes with mandatory housing.

Note: UCLA Summer Sessions is not affiliated with and does not provide support for any non-structured housing. There will be no supervision provided for students with at-large housing contracts.