An unparalleled opportunity to study filmmaking at one of the most prestigious film schools in the world
Gain hands-on experience in cinematic storytelling from concept to post-production and learn story structure, cinematography, and editing
As of 3/17/2022, Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute is closed to new applicants.
The UCLA Film and Television Summer Institute shapes the filmmakers of tomorrow from the heart of Los Angeles, the entertainment capital of the world.
The Film and Television Summer Institute – Digital Filmmaking gives high school students from across the country and around the globe an unparalleled opportunity to study filmmaking at one of the most prestigious film schools in the world. The program is a two-week, intensive production workshop designed for highly motivated rising high school juniors, and seniors, and spring 2022 high school graduates. Students are immersed in the creativity and technique of cinematic storytelling and challenged to create entertaining narrative projects.
- Students use the Department of Film, Television and Digital Media’s latest editing software and digital cinema cameras
- Student work collaboratively on projects that are filmed as daylight exteriors on location across the UCLA campus
- The program curriculum consists of a combination of lectures, practical camera exercises, guest speakers, and post-production labs
- This workshop carries 3 units of UCLA college credit
- Program activities include film screenings, guest speakers, and a visit to a Hollywood studio
- All films will be screened in a state-of-the-art theater during the certificate ceremony at the end of the workshop. Friends and family are welcome!
This is an intensive immersion experience for beginning filmmakers designed to form a basic understanding of the aesthetic, creative, and logistical decisions involved in making a film. While previous experience in digital filmmaking is not required, this is a disciplined and rigorous program and requires a significant time commitment. Please refer to the program schedule for details.
Fees and Payment Info
The program fee includes the unit fees for the UCLA coursework offered as part of the program and thus varies by UC student status. In addition to the program fee, students are assessed other campus and administrative fees during the summer. This is a summary of fees that commonly apply to the selected student type.
Actual tuition and fees are subject to change by the University of California. Visit the fees, payment, and financial aid section for important disclaimer, as well as more details on fees, payment instructions, and information on delinquency, refunds, and financial aid.
**MANDATORY HOUSING FEE** = $1,521
Students living in on-campus housing will be charged an additional housing fee.
|Document Fee (for first-time Summer Sessions students)||$50|
Meet your instructors
Instructors for the UCLA Film and Television Summer Institutes are UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media faculty.