An unparalleled opportunity to study filmmaking at one of the most prestigious film schools in the world
Immerse yourself in the creativity and technique of cinematic storytelling
The UCLA Film and Television Summer Institute shapes the filmmakers of tomorrow from the heart of Los Angeles, the entertainment capital of the world.
The Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute gives high school students from across the country and around the globe an unparalleled opportunity to study filmmaking at one of the most prestigious film schools in the world. The program is a two-week, intensive production workshop designed for highly motivated rising high school juniors, and seniors, and spring 2022 high school graduates. Students are immersed in the creativity and technique of cinematic storytelling and challenged to create entertaining narrative projects.
- Students use the Department of Film, Television and Digital Media’s latest editing software and digital cinema cameras
- Student work collaboratively on projects that are filmed as daylight exteriors on location across the UCLA campus
- The program curriculum consists of a combination of lectures, practical camera exercises, guest speakers, and post-production labs
- This workshop carries 3 units of UCLA college credit
- Program activities include film screenings, guest speakers, and a visit to a Hollywood studio
- All films will be screened in a state-of-the-art theater during the certificate ceremony at the end of the workshop. Friends and family are welcome!
This is an intensive immersion experience for beginning filmmakers designed to form a basic understanding of the aesthetic, creative, and logistical decisions involved in making a film. While previous experience in digital filmmaking is not required, this is a disciplined and rigorous program and requires a significant time commitment. Please refer to the program schedule for details.
Fees and Payment Info
The fee for a summer course is calculated based on the unit value the course carries. In addition to the course fee, students are assessed other campus and administrative fees during the summer. Below is a summary of fees that apply to all UCLA students (both in-state and out-of-state).
For a complete description of fees including payment instructions, refunds, delinquency and financial aid, visit the fees, payment and financial aid section.
|Document Fee (for first-time Summer Sessions students)||$50|
Meet your instructors
Instructors for the UCLA Film and Television Summer Institutes are UCLA Department of Film, Television, and Digital Media faculty.