Technology Leadership Summer Institute
TECHNOLOGY LEADERSHIP SUMMER INSTITUTE
The Easton Technology Management Center at the UCLA Anderson School of Management presents an innovative summer program to students interested in pursuing a career as a manager, a leader, or an entrepreneur in sectors such as high-tech, finance, healthcare, entertainment/media, manufacturing, and others, where technology plays a key role in everyday business functioning.
This 6-week intensive program explores the many vital areas of technology leadership including innovation and product development, data management and data analytics, as well as design thinking and AI/machine learning.
All students will gain hands-on experience by working on a team-based project to develop a new product from ideation to management. Students will also gain a better sense of what it is like to have a technology role through company visits, speaker series, and panels.
The program is open to all majors.
All students will take one core course on Technology Management, then build their own custom educational experience by bundling the core course with one of two of the following areas specialization:
Track Descriptions and Curriculum
In this 6 week course, students will be introduced to Design Thinking, which is a process for creatively and systematically solving problems by putting people and their needs first. Through lectures with professional examples, interactive team activities, and individual, as well as team assignments, students will learn both the theory and practice behind the design thinking process. Ultimately, the course will use design thinking to take students through the design of the User Experience (UX) and User-Interface (UI) of a product or service of their creation.
Since Design Thinking is collaborative in nature, student work will center on a team project throughout the course. This will help speak to the importance of teamwork and how to best balance varying skill-sets and schedules. However, there will also be individual assignments and select readings to help students reflect on their experience and help assess for the class learning objectives.
New products are the lifeblood of any corporation and the cornerstone of any economy. Without expanding the product portfolio, any modern corporation can quickly succumb to competition and lose significant market share, or even be totally dis-intermediated. This phenomenon has been intensified with the advancements in digital economy. The innovation process has been significantly altered as a result of the impact of digital economy across all industries and markets. While most companies recognize the need for new products, not all such new products that are introduced to the market are successful. And even a smaller percentage can stand the test of time and reach significant market share or achieve resilient popularity. Innovation is one of the key drivers of making new products. We will examine the process of innovation and new product development and discuss the associated paradigms and success factors (through the case and class discussions).
This course is designed to help students deepen their understanding of new product innovation, development, and management. In the course the student will assume the role of a product developer or a product manager focused on developing a –new- concept into a new product (for a start-up or a mature corporation). This product developer/manager identifies, develops, and commercializes a new product according to the material presented in the class and the reading assignments. The course will seek to develop students’ critical thinking, decision-making skills, and creativity to develop and launch a successful new product (team project).
This track explores data management – through databases, SQL and analytics. In order to become a successful business manager and entrepreneur, interpreting data and understanding how to analyze data will help students work in larger number of technology roles in various sectors.
What the program offers:
- Team-based Product Development Project where students will work in teams under the guidance of the instructor and prepare to present the project to a group of invited guests such as UCLA Anderson’s current MBA and PhD students, faculty, industry professionals, and instructors for a comprehensive feedback.
- Company Visits to local companies and startups where students will discover many different aspects of business in the technology sector.
- Industry Speaker Series with high-profile industry leaders and professionals.
- Networking Opportunities with industry professionals and graduate students.
- Panels with current MBA students for an insight of their experiences in business school and career goals.
- Courses taught using up-to-date case studies from Harvard Business School to discuss all the current issues in the market.
Anderson Edge Online
EDGE Online is offered to Easton Technology Summer Institute students free of charge in order to better prepare them for their on-campus experience. EDGE is a fully online course and provides a vital overview of business foundations, teaching keys frameworks and vocabulary that will help students to apply the specific knowledge which they acquire in the Easton Technology Summer Institute and use it more effectively as they enter the world of work. Students should expect to spend up to 35-40 hours completing the work for EDGE Online.
Students will be registered for EDGE Online upon acceptance into the Easton Technology Summer Institute and will be expected, wherever possible, to complete the course before arriving on campus. Edge Online’s content will be referenced by Easton Technology Summer Institute instructors and students must demonstrate their understanding of EDGE tools and frameworks in their assignments. Successful completion of Edge Online also earns students a prestigious certificate of completion from UCLA Anderson Executive Education. All students must complete Edge Online as part of the requirements for the Easton Summer Technology Institute. Students that fail to complete EDGE Online will not be allowed to successfully complete the program, and additionally will not receive the EDGE Online certificate of completion by UCLA Anderson Executive Education.
If you have questions about EDGE Online access or EDGE Online course content, please contact Jaymie Park at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To participate in the Technology Leadership Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Currently have a high school diploma (or equivalent)
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
How to Register
Registration for the Technology Leadership Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form here. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and "Continue to Registration".
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be redirected to the retrieve registration page, where you can select "Pay Now" to proceed with payment of the non-refundable deposit . Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
How to Make Registration Changes Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
JUNE 24 - AUGUST 2, 2019