How to Register and Enroll
UCLA students can start enrolling in online courses on February 1 via MyUCLA as any other summer academic courses. A registration fee is not required for UCLA students. However, the processing fee of $150 will be assessed if all courses are dropped regardless of whether instruction has begun.
Whether new or returning to UCLA Summer Sessions, all visiting students including other UC students must fill out our Academic Course Registration first in order to enroll in courses. Registration opens February 15.
Once you have submitted the online registration form and the $350 registration fee , an email will be sent to you with your UCLA ID number. Please note that even if you already have a UCLA ID and logon, you will not have access to MyUCLA summer enrollment options unless your registration is complete.
Registration is not complete until the registration fee is paid in full. Those who are not prepared to pay can submit their registration form and access their existing registration at another time to submit payment.
The registration fee is nonrefundable even if you drop all courses before they begin. For additional information about refund policies, please refer to FEES AND PAYMENT in the left menu bar.
You will use your UCLA ID number to obtain a UCLA logon via MyUCLA. If you already have a UCLA logon, you do not need to create a new logon. Simply log in to your pre-existing account. Be sure to update your address, e-mail, and phone number if necessary.
Schedule of Classes
The UCLA Schedule of Online Courses is available starting January 11.
Course descriptions are available here, or you can also view the description of a specific course you have selected on the Schedule of Classes. Visit the Schedule of Classes, and click on the "Crs Info" link or the nine-digit course ID number to find details specific to that course.
Each course will be numbered from 1-599 (e.g., English 50). Below is a description of the UCLA course numbering system.
- 1-99: Lower division courses designed for undergraduate freshmen and sophomores
- 100-199: Upper division courses designed for undergraduate juniors and seniors
- 200-499: Graduate and professional courses
- 500-599: Graduate courses - open only to UCLA graduate students even during the summer
Some courses may require you to have taken specific courses or fulfilled certain requirements. Please read the description of the courses you intend to take before enrolling to decide if they are right for you.
For UCLA students, MyUCLA will automatically check to see if the enforced requisites have been met.
For all other students, if you have had experience comparable to the listed requisite, you may enroll. Transcripts or proof of completion of a requisite course is not required for visiting Summer Sessions students.
To qualify as a current matriculated UCLA student for summer registration purposes, you must meet at least one of the requirements below:
- Admitted student with an active winter and/or spring term and a degree expected term after the end of the summer term.
- Incoming freshman or transfer student who has SIR'd to the university.
- Admitted student returning from a leave of absence (excluding students on probation or subject to dismissal) with a degree expected term after the end of the summer term.
For all other students, even if you already have a UCLA ID and logon, you will not have access to MyUCLA summer enrollment options until your registration is complete . To add a course, please log into MyUCLA using your UCLA logon and password .
Courses may be added on MyUCLA through the FIRST WEEK of the session.
- Visit www.my.ucla.edu and sign-in with your logon and password
- On the main menu, under the CLASSES drop-down menu select “Find a Class and Enroll”
- Make sure Summer 2021 is selected. You can search for classes using the "Subject Area" or the "Advanced Search”. Once you have successfully found your course, select “Go”
- If this is your first time enrolling this term, enable your enrollment by selecting all the terms and conditions, and clicking “Enable Enrollment”. If you already enabled enrollment, skip to step 5
- Check the box for your desired course. If course has a discussion section, please select a discussion as well. Select “Enroll”
For a tutorial on enrolling, please click here.
STARTING THE SECOND WEEK: You can enroll either on MyUCLA using a PTE number OR with a Student Update Form with an authorized signature from the instructor for each class being added. Submit the form to 1331 Murphy Hall.
If the course you wish to take reaches capacity, you may add yourself to the waitlist if there is one.
In the event that you are not automatically enrolled in a course from the waitlist by 5:00 PM on the first Friday of the session , you will be dropped from the waitlist and the course fees refunded. If it is the only course you are enrolled in, you will receive a full refund.
Students can resolve their waitlist status prior to the end of the first week by:
- Enrolling through MyUCLA using a Permission to Enroll (PTE) number, which can be obtained from the instructor or the course home department;
- Presenting a Student Update Form with a PTE number to the Summer Sessions office, 1331 Murphy Hall; or
- Exchanging the waitlisted course for another course prior to the end of the first week of the session.
Students may verify their enrollment status in a particular course by viewing their Studylist using MyUCLA.
IMPORTANT - The refund deadline and the drop deadline is not the same for most summer courses. Therefore, it is possible to drop a course and still be held liable for the full cost of the class. Please refer to FEES AND PAYMENT in the left menu bar for Summer Sessions refund policies before dropping any course.
Students may drop any course until 5PM (PDT) on the following deadlines:
|SESSION||With Refund(Impacted)||With Refund (Non-impacted)||Without a Refund|
|Session A3||June 25||June 25||July 9|
|Session A6||June 25||June 25||July 30|
|Session A8||June 25||July 2||August 13|
|Session A9||June 25||July 2||August 20|
|Session A10||June 25||July 2||August 27|
|Session B3||July 16||July 16||July 30|
|Session C3||August 6||August 6||August 20|
|Session C6||August 6||August 13||September 10|
|Session D3||August 27||August 27||September 10|
To drop a course, please sign-in to MyUCLA, select "Classes," then "Drop a Class" and proceed with the course cancellation. NOTE: A course may NOT be dropped or removed from your record if you made any attempt to take the final examination.