US VISITING STUDENTS
Welcome to UCLA Summer Sessions! We are excited to have you join us this year for an exceptional and invigorating educational experience.
2021 Session Schedule For Summer Courses
UCLA Summer Sessions offers students the chance to select between nine different session dates, each full of academic opportunities for you to make progress toward graduation. Each Session has a letter and a number. The letter indicates the start date: A (June 21), B (July 12), C (August 2), and D (August 23). The number indicates the length of the course in weeks.
Below are the 2021 session dates.
A3: June 21 - July 9
A6: June 21 - July 30
A8: June 21 - August 13
A10: June 21 - August 27
B3: July 12 - July 30
C3: August 2 - August 20 C6: August 2 - September 10
D3: August 23 - September 10
Each UCLA course is numbered from 1-599 (e.g., English 101). Below is a description of the UCLA course numbering system. Please select courses that best meet your current academic standing.
- 1-99: Lower division courses designed for undergraduate freshmen and sophomores
- 100-199: Upper division courses designed for undergraduate juniors and seniors
- 200-499: Graduate and professional courses
- 500-599: Graduate courses - open ONLY to current UCLA graduate students
You may visit the Registrar's website for course descriptions or view the description of a specific course you have selected on the Schedule of Classes starting January 11. When viewing the desired course, select the "Section" number to access additional information about the class.
Course Restrictions and Requisites
Although the majority of summer courses are open to visiting non-UCLA students, a select few summer courses are restricted to "UCLA students only".
To view course restrictions, visit the Schedule of Classes, search for your desired course, then click on the "Section" number.
Some courses may require you to have taken specific courses or fulfilled certain requirements to enroll. Transcripts or proof of completion of a requisite course is not required for visiting Summer Sessions students. Although proof of requisite completion is not required, visiting students should have experience comparable to the listed requisite.
Please read the description of the courses you intend to take before enrolling to decide if they are right for you.
How to Register
Whether you are new or returning to UCLA Summer Sessions, enrollment in summer courses can be completed in three easy steps:
- Complete our ACADEMIC COURSE ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM starting February 15.
- Submit online payment of the $150 registration fee.
- Use your University Identification (UID) number, given after successful payment of the registration fee, and create your MyUCLA account* to proceed with enrollment. Please keep a secure record of your UCLA logon information.
All steps must be completed in the exact order provided above.
Registration is not complete until the registration fee is paid in full. Those who are not prepared to pay can submit their registration form and access the existing registration at another time to make payment of the registration fee.
The registration fee is nonrefundable at all times.
For additional information about refund policies, please refer to FEES AND PAYMENT in the left menu bar.
MyUCLA will be used for enrollment, bill paying, viewing grades, and using other services. Please keep a secure record of your UCLA logon information.
*Returning students do not need to create a new MyUCLA account. Simply log in to your existing account once steps 1-2 are completed. Be sure to update your address, e-mail, and phone number, if necessary.
How to Enroll in Summer Courses
Visiting summer-only students may add courses starting February 15 through Friday of Week 1 of the course's session.
- Do not proceed with the enrollment steps below until AFTER completing all steps in the “Registration” section above first.
- Visit MyUCLA and sign-in with your Logon and password
- On the main menu, select "Classes," then "Find a Class and Enroll"
- Make sure "Summer 2021" is selected. Search for classes using the "Subject Area" or the "Advanced Search." Once you successfully enter your search parameters, select “Go”
- Enable your enrollment by selecting all the terms and conditions, and clicking "Enable Enrollment." If you’ve already enabled enrollment, skip to step 5
- Check the box for your desired course. If course has a section, please select a discussion as well. Select “Enroll” to verify enrollment
For a tutorial on enrolling, please click here.
The deadline to enroll is Friday of Week 1 of the course.
Students may enroll after the deadline if they have consent or permission from the course instructor. You may enroll after the deadline one of two ways:
- Enroll on MyUCLA using a Permission to Enroll (PTE) number (Prior to the end of Week 2 ONLY); OR
- Submit a Student Update Form (PDF) with either an authorized signature from the instructor or a PTE number provided on the form. The form may be submitted to 1331 Murphy Hall or emailed to email@example.com.
Note: A late fee of $50 will be assessed for each course added after Friday of second week. No late fees are assessed if a student is re-adding a class that was previously dropped or switching sections of the same class.
If the course you wish to take reaches capacity, you may add yourself to the waitlist, if available.
In the event that you are not automatically enrolled in a course from the waitlist by 5 PM, Friday of Week 1 of the course's session, you will be dropped from the waitlist and the course fees refunded. If it is the only course you are enrolled in, you will receive a full refund.
Students can resolve their waitlist status prior to the end of Week 1 by:
- Enrolling through MyUCLA using a Permission to Enroll (PTE) number*, which can be obtained from the instructor or the course home department;
- Presenting a Student Update Form with a PTE* number to the Summer Sessions office, 1331 Murphy Hall; or
- Exchanging the waitlisted course for another course prior to the end of the first week of the session.
Students may verify their enrollment status in a particular course by viewing their Studylist using MyUCLA.
*Permission to Enroll (PTE) numbers are limited and are only given at the instructor's discretion.
Drop Policies and Procedures
IMPORTANT - The refund deadline and the drop deadline is not the same for most summer courses. Therefore, it is possible to drop a course and still be held liable for the full cost of the class. Please refer to FEES AND PAYMENT in the left menu bar for Summer Sessions refund policies before dropping any course.
Students may drop any course until 5PM (PDT) on the following deadlines:
|SESSION||With Refund(Impacted)||With Refund (Non-impacted)||Without a Refund|
|Session A3||June 25||June 25||July 9|
|Session A6||June 25||June 25||July 30|
|Session A8||June 25||July 2||August 13|
|Session A9||June 25||July 2||August 20|
|Session A10||June 25||July 2||August 27|
|Session B3||July 16||July 16||July 30|
|Session C3||August 6||August 6||August 20|
|Session C6||August 6||August 13||September 10|
|Session D3||August 27||August 27||September 10|
To drop a course, please sign-in to MyUCLA, select "Classes," then "Drop a Class" and proceed with the course cancellation. NOTE: A course may NOT be dropped or removed from your record if you made any attempt to take the final examination.
A3: June 21 - July 9
A6: June 21 - July 30
A8: June 21 - Aug 13
A10: June 21 - Aug 27
B3: July 12 - July 30
C3: Aug 2 - Aug 20 C6: Aug 2 - Sept 10
D3: Aug 23 - Sept 10