US VISITING STUDENTS
How to Register
Whether you are new or returning to UCLA Summer Sessions, enrollment in summer courses can be completed in three easy steps:
- Complete our ACADEMIC COURSE ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM starting February 15.
- Submit online payment of the $150 nonrefundable deposit .
- Use your University Identification (UID) number, given after successful payment of the deposit, and create your MyUCLA account* to proceed with enrollment. Please keep a secure record of your UCLA logon information.
All steps must be completed in the exact order provided above.
Registration is not complete until the deposit is paid in full. Those who are not prepared to pay can submit their registration form and access the existing registration at another time to make payment of the deposit.
The deposit is nonrefundable, even if you withdraw before courses begin.
For additional information about refund policies, please refer to FEES AND PAYMENT in the left menu bar.
MyUCLA will be used for enrollment, bill paying, viewing grades, and using other services. Please keep a secure record of your UCLA logon information.
*Returning students do not need to create a new MyUCLA account. Simply log in to your existing account once steps 1-2 are completed. Be sure to update your address, e-mail, and phone number, if necessary.
Schedule of Classes
The UCLA Schedule of Classes is available starting January 14.
You may visit the Registrar's website for course descriptions or view the description of a specific course you have selected on the Schedule of Classes starting January 14. When viewing the desired course, select the "Section" number to access additional information about the class.
UCLA Course Numbering
Each UCLA course is numbered from 1-599 (e.g., English 101). Below is a description of the UCLA course numbering system. Please select courses that best meet your current academic standing.
- 1-99: Lower division courses designed for undergraduate freshmen and sophomores
- 100-199: Upper division courses designed for undergraduate juniors and seniors
- 200-499: Graduate and professional courses
- 500-599: Graduate courses - open ONLY to current UCLA graduate students
Although the majority of summer courses are open to visiting non-UCLA students, a select few summer courses are restricted to "UCLA students only".
To view course restrictions, visit the Schedule of Classes, search for your desired course, then click on the "Section" number.
Some courses may require you to have taken specific courses or fulfilled certain requirements to enroll. Transcripts or proof of completion of a requisite course is not required for visiting Summer Sessions students. Although proof of requisite completion is not required, visiting students should have experience comparable to the listed requisite.
Please read the description of the courses you intend to take before enrolling to decide if they are right for you.
Taught by UCLA faculty, our online courses offer you the opportunity to earn UCLA credit outside of the classroom. For more information, visit our Online Courses page.
Visiting summer-only students may add courses starting February 15 through Friday of Week 1 of the course's session .
How To Enroll in Summer Courses
- Do not proceed with the enrollment steps below until AFTER completing all steps in the “Registration” section above first.
- Visit MyUCLA and sign-in with your Logon and password
- On the main menu, select "Classes," then "Find a Class and Enroll"
- Make sure "Summer 2019" is selected. Search for classes using the "Subject Area" or the "Advanced Search." Once you successfully enter your search parameters, select “Go”
- Enable your enrollment by selecting all the terms and conditions, and clicking "Enable Enrollment." If you’ve already enabled enrollment, skip to step 5
- Check the box for your desired course. If course has a section, please select a discussion as well. Select “Enroll” to verify enrollment
For a tutorial on enrolling, please click here.
Enrollment After the Deadline
The deadline to enroll is Friday of Week 1 of the course.
Students may enroll after the deadline if they have consent or permission from the course instructor. You may enroll after the deadline one of two ways:
- Enroll on MyUCLA using a Permission to Enroll (PTE) number (Prior to the end of Week 2 ONLY); OR
- Submit a Student Update Form (PDF) with either an authorized signature from the instructor or a PTE number provided on the form. The form may be submitted to 1331 Murphy Hall or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: A late fee of $50 will be assessed for each course added after Friday of second week. No late fees are assessed if a student is re-adding a class that was previously dropped or switching sections of the same class.
If the course you wish to take reaches capacity, you may add yourself to the waitlist, if available.
In the event that you are not automatically enrolled in a course from the waitlist by 5 PM, Friday of Week 1 of the course's session , you will be dropped from the waitlist and the course fees refunded. If it is the only course you are enrolled in, you will receive a full refund and will not be subject to the processing fee.
Students can resolve their waitlist status prior to the end of Week 1 by:
- Enrolling through MyUCLA using a Permission to Enroll (PTE) number*, which can be obtained from the instructor or the course home department;
- Presenting a Student Update Form with a PTE* number to the Summer Sessions office, 1331 Murphy Hall; or
- Exchanging the waitlisted course for another course prior to the end of the first week of the session.
Students may verify their enrollment status in a particular course by viewing their Studylist using MyUCLA.
*Permission to Enroll (PTE) numbers are limited and are only given at the instructor's discretion.
Important: Before dropping or attempting to drop any summer course, please read and understand the following summer policies:
- The refund deadline and the drop deadline is not the same for most summer courses. Therefore, it is possible to drop a course and still be held liable for the full cost of the class. Please refer to FEES AND PAYMENT in the left menu bar for Summer Sessions refund policies before dropping any course.
- A course may NOT be dropped or removed from your record if you make any attempt to take the final examination.
- The drop procedure is dependent on whether or not the course is impacted. You can verify if a course is impacted on the UCLA Registrar’s website.
Dropping Non-Impacted Courses
Any course not indicated on the Impacted Course List is considered non-impacted and subject to the drop procedures below:
- Before the final two weeks of the course: Sign-in to MyUCLA, select "Classes," then "Drop a Class" and proceed with course cancellation.
- Final two weeks of the course: Submit a Student Update Form with the instructor's signature provided on the form to 1331 Murphy Hall during regular business hours or via email (email@example.com).
Dropping Impacted Courses
All courses indicated on the Impacted Course List is considered impacted and subject to the drop procedures below:
- Before 5 PM, Friday of Week 1 of the course: Sign-in to MyUCLA, select "Classes," then "Drop a Class" and proceed with course cancellation.
- After 5 PM, Friday of Week 1 of the course: Dropping an impacted course is by approval only in accordance with the Impacted Course Drop Policy. As requests are rarely granted only under extenuating circumstances, students who wish to drop an impacted course past the Week 1 deadline should consult the course instructor and explore academic options other than dropping the course. Non-UCLA students will be required to complete a Student Updated Form with the instructor's signature provided on the form and submit the request to the Summer Sessions Office, 1331 Murphy Hall, in order to petition for a drop of any impacted courses. If approved, the course appears on the transcript with a notation indicating the date and week the drop was officially processed.
6-week: June 24 - August 2
8-week: June 24 - August 16
10-week: June 24 - August 30
August 5 - September 13