Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute
APPLICATIONS OF NANOSCIENCE SUMMER INSTITUTE
UCLA Course Credit: CHEM 8 (2 units)
Important Note: UCLA has decided to transition all Precollege Summer Institutes to remote learning only. For more information, visit our Updates and Alerts page.
The Applications of Nanoscience online course is designed for high school students with a background in chemistry and a desire to learn the basics of pursuing a viable, scientifically-sound technology and bringing it to market. As a model, students will explore a few important applications of nanoscience while also learning the basics of reviewing existing scientific literature, design-thinking, and entrepreneurship. They will then go through the process of proposing an product in pursuit of bringing their nanotechnology-based idea to market.
During this two-week program, students have the unique opportunity to explore questions similar to those currently investigated by the scientific community. The program involves the combination of vigorous scientific methodologies and techniques with business projects that are both fun and exciting. At the end of this course, students will demonstrate their new found knowledge by working on a team project to experience the process of pitching a business and a product to technology investors.
To apply for the Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in grades 9 - 12 during Spring 2020
- Strong science foundation in chemistry, physics, and biology
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
The Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
Two short essays with the following prompts:
- In no more than 250 words: What interests you in science (or technology) and how will participation in this program help you achieve your academic and personal goals?
- In no more than 125 words: How did you hear about nanoscience and nanotechnology and what is your current understanding of this topic?
Students will be notified within 2 weeks of an acceptance decision.
NOTE: Students should compose the essay before beginning the online registration process. There will be text fields on the online registration form of which the response text can be copied.
How to Apply
Registration for the Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay responses (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page.
- Allow up to 2 weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
This deposit is not refundable under any circumstances including, but not limited to, drop for non-payment and withdrawal, even if you withdraw from the program before it begins. If you withdraw, this deposit will appear as processing fee charge on your BruinBill account.
If the program is full, you will not be prompted to make payment. When your application is accepted from the wait list, you will be notified by email with instructions for methods of payment.
If registering after May 1, full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required to reserve your space in the program.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
JULY 6 - JULY 17, 2020