Musical Theater Summer Institute
MUSICAL THEATER SUMMER INSTITUTE
July 10 - August 1, 2021 UCLA Course Credit: Theater 50 and Theater 72 Three Week Online Program
The UCLA Summer Musical Theater Institute is a virtual three-week intensive conservatory-style program for high school musical theater students encompassing acting, singing, dancing, and guest workshops which culminates in a final showcase. Students will also be introduced to the technical aspects of theater through master classes as it is an essential component to the learning process. The program is designed for high school students completing grades 9 through 12 who have a serious interest in musical theater and who seek the discipline and training required for participation in a university theater program or a career in the performing arts.
To apply for the Musical Theater Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 21, 2021
- Enrolled in grades 8th – 12th during Spring 2021
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
To participate in the Musical Theater Summer Institute, students must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- In 500 words or less, respond to the following prompt: How do you plan to impact the world through your storytelling?
- A video audition of 32 bars of a song that you enjoy and shows your range
- A video audition of 1 minute – 1 ½ minutes contemporary monologue
- A video audition of 30 seconds – 1 minute of dance from any genre
- A letter of reference from a teacher, director, or similar that can attest to the applicant's musical and theatrical abilities, challenges, and areas for growth. Please either upload the letter after submitting your registration form OR have your recommender email the letter to email@example.com (PDF format with your 5-digit registration number).
- A resume (if you do not have a resume, submit a brief description of your theatrical and/or artistic experience)
The letter of reference and resume can be uploaded (.pdf) through the registration portal. For the digital audition component, you will need to upload your video and make it private to YouTube, Vimeo, or a similar site, and paste the private link during the application process.
Students will be notified within 2 weeks of an acceptance decision.
You will need to upload one file into a private link on either YouTube or Vimeo and include the password to your private link. The link will be your audition, which consists of your slate, song, and your monologue.
Slate: Please provide your name, the name of the play your piece is from, the character's name, and the playwright. There is no need to explain what is happening in the play. Feel free to say hello to us.
Monologue Length: 1- 1 ½ minutes is preferred
How to shoot the monologue: Frame it so that you are facing the camera for a medium to close up shot. Please use your best judgment for what will work best for your monologue. If you will be moving during your monologue, a medium shot may be better. You may choose to speak into the camera or slightly off camera. Please remember to review your takes, see what works, and adjust as needed before submitting your audition. Trust the process and do not be overly critical of yourself.
- Audition against a blank wall or door.
- Do song and monologue in one take.
- If you would like to shoot your slate in a separate take and then edit the take of your monologue into one file, that is fine.
- You may shoot it from your phone or tablet. We are not worried about high production value. The most important thing is that we can see you and hear you.
- Do not do a scene with someone reading lines off camera.
- Do not send prior performances or tapings from plays. Record a new video according to the audition specs for purposes of this application.
- Do not put pressure on yourself to deliver the "perfect" audition. Do your personal best, be authentic, and don't forget to have fun.
If you have questions about the audition requirements, please contact Dolann Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Application for the Musical Theater Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form starting February 15. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your personal statement response and link to audition (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page. Select “File Uploads” to upload your letter of recommendation (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Allow up to two weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application after submission. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable registration fee ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable registration fee* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Past participants have found the Acting and Performance Summer Institute to be an unforgettable experience. Below, please find statements from former students.
“I really loved this program. I made amazing friendships and relationships with my teachers and directors and I learned an incredible amount. This program secured my love for musical theatre even more and gave me more confidence in getting a job in this field.”
“I had a really great time. This has served as one of the best experiences I've ever had for so many reasons: I made amazing friends, learned so much incredible information from real, experienced staff, and was put in such a professional environment that really helped me learn and progress as a performer.”
“I loved how everyone got a chance to participate and shine in a new way. Sometimes classes don't highlight all of people's strengths (Just classes in general, not specifically the ones offered) but the workshops offered a new way for people to express themselves.”
“The Dance workshop was just a nice break from rehearsal and just a great way to let loose and have fun because we didn't have to make it perfect for anyone else but ourselves. It was also a big confidence booster.”
JULY 10 - AUGUST 1, 2021