Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute
TEEN ARCH STUDIO
PLEASE NOTE: The TeenArch Summer Institute has been cancelled for 2020. It will be offered again in the summer of 2021.
The Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute program is offered by the UCLA Department of Architecture and Urban Design and open to current high school students.
This program is an intensive, full-time summer architecture experience to high school students interested in exploring architecture and design thinking. Two tracks are offered for interested participants:
Teen ArchStudio (Two Weeks)
July 5 - July 17 2 quarter units of UC credit
This track covers two-weeks of exploratory design studio in which students will work alongside their studio instructors through several design exercises and projects.
Teen ArchStudio PLUS (Three Weeks)
July 5 - July 24 3 quarter units of UC credit
The PLUS track includes an additional third week to the standard two-week program introducing basic digital and computational tools.
NOTE: Before enrolling in the program, you should be aware of the time commitment and course workload inherent in a program of this nature.
This program exposes high school students to the architecture discipline, giving them a sense of the life of a college student and the chance to experience the profession through the design of a project, field trips to landmark buildings, and visits to Los Angeles architectural offices.
- Receive mentorship from current UCLA Architecture and Urban Design students, alumni, and faculty.
- Have the opportunity to utilize the renowned facilities of the UCLA Architecture and Urban Design including the campus at large, as well as experience the urban life of Los Angeles.
Both tracks are structured around the experience of a design studio typically offered within the curriculum of an undergraduate program. Studio focuses on developing design skills through space making and its drawing representation. Individual and group projects generate a dynamic and productive environment designed to help students in their decision making process to consider studies in architecture or other design related fields.
If you would like to know more or have any questions, please contact Teen ArchStudio directly.
To participate for the Teen ArchStudio or Teen ArchStudio PLUS Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 22, 2020
- Enrolled in grades 9th – 12th during Spring 2020
Students who do not meet the minimum program eligibility should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
How to Register
Application for the Teen ArchStudio and Teen ArchStudio PLUS can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be redirected to the retrieve registration page, where you can select “Pay Now” to proceed with payment of the non-refundable deposit . Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
TEEN ARCHSTUDIO SUMMER INSTITUTE:
JULY 5 - JULY 17, 2020
TEEN ARCHSTUDIO PLUS SUMMER INSTITUTE:
JULY 5 - JULY 24, 2020