Who is a U.S. High School Student?
During the summer, UCLA opens its door to high school students as well, and we invite you to come and study in a welcoming environment that appreciates diversity and global perspectives.
UCLA Summer Sessions offers high school students two ways to engage in a college experience that will challenge and inspire them:
- Individual UCLA Academic Courses; or
- Specialized Precollege Summer Institutes
High school students may participate in a Precollege Summer Institutes if the student is 14 years of age or older by the first day of summer.
High school students may also consider enrollment in college academic courses. Students must be at least 15 years of age by the first day of summer to enroll in academic courses. High school students enrolled in academic courses may apply for housing through UCLA Housing Services.
- Are you a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, i.e., a Green Card holder?
- Are you an international student currently studying in the US and returning to the same school after the summer?
If you currently hold an F-1 visa and I-20 at another U.S. school AND plan to continue your studies at that school, you won't need to obtain an additional F-1 visa to attend UCLA Summer Sessions. There are no unit requirements and you won't be required to complete the I-20 request form or upload any documents.
- Do you intend to register only in the short-term Precollege Summer Institutes that are not F-1 visa eligible , indicated with * in the right column?
Registration only in Precollege Summer Institutes that are not F-1 eligible does not satisfy the requirements for an I-20 form to be issued. Please be sure to consult your local US embassy/consulate for visa options prior to registering as an I-20 form may not be issued.
The thousands of high school students who have joined us in the past report that UCLA Summer Sessions is an invigorating and unforgettable experience academically, culturally, and socially, and we hope to see you this summer.
Please visit our Academic Courses: U.S. High School Students page for more information on the following:
- Enrollment and registration
- Fees and payment
- Relevant University and Summer Sessions policies
Transcripts, proof of enrollment at another institution, or a GPA minimum is not required.
Summer Sessions is a unique opportunity to advance your academic career. During the summer, many academic courses that make up UCLA's regular curriculum are offered in two sessions, Session A and Session C . With over 100 courses to choose from, including online courses, you can have an unforgettable summer no matter where you are.
UCLA Online Courses offer you the opportunity to earn credit anytime, anywhere. UCLA academic courses delivered online carry the same unit value and UCLA degree credit. Whether you have other summer activities planned or you wish to stay in your hometown, online courses provide an alternative solution to your academic needs.
Precollege Summer Institutes
Precollege Summer Institutes are designed for advanced high school students who wish to gain academically challenging college-level experience.
Art Summer Institute (Session B ONLY)
Listed below are the 2018 Precollege programs:
- Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute*
- Acting and Performance Summer Institute*
- Art Summer Institute*
- Dance/Performing Arts Summer Institute*
- Design Media Arts Summer Institute*
- Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute*
- Game Lab Summer Institute*
- Immersive International Studies Summer Institute*
- Mock Trial Summer Institute*
- Model United Nations Summer Institute*
- Musical Theater Summer Institute*
- Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute*
- Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute*
- SCI|ART NanoLab Summer Institute*
- Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute*
- Writing Summer Institute: Introduction to College Writing*