UCLA Precollege Summer Institutes provide highly-motivated high school students the opportunity to earn college credit while advancing their skill set in one area of study. During these one- to three-week concentrated programs, students experience lectures, hands-on learning, field trips, group projects, and other activities that provide an intensive and engrossing study of their chosen subject.
Our Precollege Summer Institutes are open to high school students from around the country and the world . We invite you to come and study in a welcoming environment that appreciates diversity and global perspectives.
Important Note: UCLA has decided to transition all Summer Institutes to remote learning only. For more information, visit our Updates and Alerts page.
High school students who are 14 years of age or older by the first day of summer may participate in our Precollege Summer Institutes.
High School Students enrolling in a Precollege Summer Institute are not eligible to apply for the F-1 student visa. Students enrolling in a less than full-time precollege program MAY attend the program on the Visitor (B) Visa. However, UCLA strongly recommends that students consult with their local U.S. Embassy / Consulate for more information regarding visa requirements.
2021 Precollege Summer Institutes (Tentative)
- Acting and Performance Summer Institute
- Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute
- Art Summer Institute
- Camera Acting Summer Institute
- Computer Science Summer Institute
- Critical Thinking Summer Institute
- Design Media Arts Summer Institute
- Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute
- Economics Summer Institute
- Game Lab Summer Institute
- Hip Hop / Street Dance Summer Institute
- Immersive International Studies Summer Institute
- International Development Summer Institute
- Introduction to Investments Summer Institute
- Mock Trial Summer Institute
- Model United Nations Summer Institute
- Musical Theater Summer Institute
- Precollege Writing for TV - Big Ideas for the Small Screen
- Sci|Art Lab + Studio Summer Institute
- Startup UCLA: Social Entrepreneurship Summer Institute
- Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute
- Voice-over Camera Acting Summer Institute
- Writing Summer Institute: Introduction to College Writing
Scholarship Opportunities for California High School Students
Qualified students attending grades 8th – 11th in Spring 2021 in the state of California are eligible for Summer Scholars Support, a need- and merit-based scholarship offered by the UCLA Summer Sessions Office. A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available to support enrollment in SCIP, academic courses, or a Precollege Summer Institute. Summer 2021 deadline to apply: April 1.Learn more about Summer Scholars Support