UCLA Precollege Summer Institutes provide highly-motivated high school students the opportunity to earn college credit while advancing their skill set in one area of study. During these one- to three-week concentrated programs, students experience lectures, hands-on learning, field trips, group projects, and other activities that provide an intensive and engrossing study of their chosen subject.
Our Precollege Summer Institutes are open to high school students from around the country and the world . We invite you to come and study in a welcoming environment that appreciates diversity and global perspectives.
High school students who are 14 years of age or older by the first day of summer may participate in our Precollege Summer Institutes.
High School Students enrolling in a Precollege Summer Institute are not eligible to apply for the F-1 student visa. Students enrolling in a less than full-time precollege program MAY attend the program on the Visitor (B) Visa. However, UCLA strongly recommends that students consult with their local U.S. Embassy / Consulate for more information regarding visa requirements.
The following Precollege Summer Institutes include a mandatory residential plan where attendees live on-campus during their academic program.
- Acting and Performance Summer Institute
- Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute
- Art Summer Institute
- Camera Acting Summer Institute
- Design Media Arts Summer Institute
- Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute
- Economics Summer Institute
- Engineering Design Summer Institute
- Game Lab Summer Institute - Session B
- International Development Summer Institute
- Introduction to Investments Summer Institute
- Mock Trial Summer Institute
- Model United Nations Summer Institute
- Musical Theater Summer Institute
- Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute
- Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute
- Sci|Art Lab + Studio Summer Institute
- Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute
The following Precollege Summer Institutes are designed specifically for local students commuting to and from campus.
- Cinematography Summer Institute
- Game Lab Summer Institute - Session A
- Immersive International Studies Summer Institute
- Writing Summer Institute: Introduction to College Writing
Note: University housing is not available for commuter programs under any circumstance.